Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi Jonny,

The sun sets red anyway, as would a close passing comet.

The sun doesn’t always set red, I’m sure you know that.

However, dust from a close comet would cause the sun to be red not just at sunset, due to loading in the upper atmosphere.

For three thousand years?

A band of debris around a planet tends to be in a thin disk about its equator. I would say that it would be too thin to cause much scattering of light to make the sun red, and even then it would only occur when the sun was inline with this band.

If we to turn the clock back on Saturn’s rings, to the time of their formation, isn’t it more than likely they were much thicker and denser than they are today. Eons of time has seen them slowly thinning out and taking on the attributes of a gramophone record. Same with Jupiter, Jupiter’s rings were in all probability much thicker and denser than they are today the more we travel back in time.

I believe the ancient world was dominated by 3,000 years of planetary chaos and this ongoing chaos was responsible for, and constantly fed earth’s rings. The intensity of chaos would determine its thickness, many times a thick hazy band was seen arching across the heavens, other times (and as the rings dissipated) thinning out and taking on the attributes of Saturn’s rings.

Actually, if we were to place a thin ring system around earth, from the latitude of Egypt this would start on the horizon as a thin line or point, fan out (literary) across the sky before narrowing again on the eastern horizon. So, it’s quite possible for the sun to be hazed red for a good time during the day. Far more than you infer.

In regards to the red sun, I think perhaps I might start a new thread on this but for now I would like to clarify something.

As I have proposed in my essay the whole solar system was enveloped in dust, gasses and debris (a solar-system-wide catastrophe) it is this debris (ecliptic debris) that primarily hazed the sun Red for 3,000 years (as depicted by the Egyptians) and not Hathor, although she did on many occasions assist. In other words, the sun was hazed behind 93 millions miles of dust and gases, the being the distance between the sun and the earth. The sun rose as a red disk traversed across the heavens as a red disk and set in the west as a red disk, it slowly emerged as a golden orb towards the end of Pharaonic Egypt with the advent of ‘golden’ mummies (many would aspire to live eternal life with the sun god Ra)

If the comet was in the inner solar system (where its aphelion is in the asteroid belt), and if it is large enough, then its periodicity does not matter, as it could appear as a bright object all year round (or even for the vast majority of the year). Comet Encke for example has a period of 3.3 years, and could be as much as 20,000 years old. This to me suggests that once in the distant past it would have been far larger, and brighter, and comes very close to the earth.

That’s fare enough but where is any of this written down in ancient history.

Admittedily there Hathor may not be influenced by a comet, but I think that it is more likely than earth having a planetary ring in historical times (why would it just be the egyptians that recorded it, and not the sumerians and other contemporary civilisations, such as the chinese, who recorded detailed astronomoical observations??)

I was hoping you wouldn’t ask that as I have enough to deal with in ascribing Egypt’s so called ‘mythical’ (no such thing) gods to real physical phenomena let alone explore the bizarre world of other cultures :-) That said, I believe I have found a least one counterpart to Hathor.

Ninhursag/Hathor

Similar to the Hathor images?

Ninhursag’s bovine attributes?

Milking scenes from the Temple of Ninhursag, - Tell al Ubaid, c. 2400 B.C.

Ninhursag’s traits similar to that of Hathor’s

Ninhursag means 'Lady of the Foothills'
‘Great Queen’
‘Lady of Birth’ (Hathor: Goddess of fertility, children and childbirth. Also Egyptian royal titles included ‘son of Hathor’)
‘lady of the gods’

Hathor: The great one of many names
Ninhursag: She had many names including Ninmah ("Great Queen"); Nintu ("Lady of Birth"); Mama or Mami (mother); Aruru (sister of Enlil); Belet-Ili (lady of the gods, Akkadian). Minor synonyms include Ninzinak (lady of the embryo); Nindim (lady fashioner); Nagarsagak (carpenter of insides); Ninbahar (lady pottery); Ninmag (lady vulva); Ninsigsig (lady of silence); Mudkesda (blood-stauncher); Amadugbad (mother spreading the knees); Amaududa (mother who has given birth); Sagzudingirenak (midwife of the gods); Ninmenna (lady of the diadem) (source, Wikipedia)

According to legend her name was changed from Ninmah to Ninhursag by her son Ninurta in order to commemorate his creation of the mountains. As Ninmenna, according to a Babylonian investiture ritual, she placed the golden crown on the king in the Eanna temple (ibid) Hathor: ‘The golden one.’

Her symbol the omega (Ω) has been depicted in art from around 3000 BC, though more generally from the early second millennium. It appears on some boundary stones—on the upper tier, which indicates her importance (ibid)

With Ninhursag’s Omega we have a direct connection with Hathor’s wig.
[www.matrifocus.com]

“Ninhursag’s prestige decreased as Ishtar's increased” (Crystalinks).

At the moment, I ascribe Isis with Ishtar and to keep it simple the ecliptic – so this is consistent with the Egyptian goddess Isis rising to prominence over Hathor in later times (Ptolemaic). Or, to give the whole thing real world physical presence, Earth’s ring (Hathor) slowly dissipating and the god king planets moving away from earth, settling down to come under the authority of the ecliptic (Isis).

I would really recomend reading the books, if you have time. I do think it is worth considering as an alternative counterpoint to you ideas.

????.... where’s a moderator when you need one!!!

It is in reading soooo many ‘millions’ books that I have come to my conclusions!

Regards

Gary

[www.gks.uk.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 331 Gary Gilligan 30-Oct-08 16:16
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 210 JonnyMcA 30-Oct-08 17:17
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 267 Gary Gilligan 30-Oct-08 20:25
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 177 michael seabrook 30-Oct-08 21:24
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 214 JonnyMcA 30-Oct-08 21:56
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 190 michael seabrook 30-Oct-08 22:07
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 186 JonnyMcA 30-Oct-08 22:13
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 196 michael seabrook 30-Oct-08 22:17
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 175 JonnyMcA 30-Oct-08 22:21
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 256 Gary Gilligan 31-Oct-08 13:38
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 176 JonnyMcA 31-Oct-08 16:03
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 602 Gary Gilligan 07-Nov-08 17:09
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 204 JonnyMcA 07-Nov-08 22:14
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 167 Joyeuse 31-Oct-08 07:25
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 152 Gary Gilligan 31-Oct-08 13:43
Re: Hathor - Earth's Celestial Ring of Debris 200 Joyeuse 31-Oct-08 16:15
Squatting deities – Saturns Spokes and earths rings (Hathor) 229 Gary Gilligan 05-Nov-08 11:18
Re: Squatting deities – Saturns Spokes and earths rings (Hathor) 204 NetWorkAngel 05-Nov-08 15:17
Re: Squatting deities – Saturns Spokes and earths rings (Hathor) 199 Gary Gilligan 05-Nov-08 16:00
Re: Squatting deities – Saturns Spokes and earths rings (Hathor) 237 NetWorkAngel 07-Nov-08 18:21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.