Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Dear Nonconformist:

If your understanding of the orthodox view is correct (and since you claim some personal expertise in this area, I presume it must be) viz

My understanding of the orthodox view is that prolonged close contact between the West Germanic Anglo-Saxons in the south and the Scandinavians in the north led to the development of a Germanic lingua franca which after a few generations developed into a full blown Germanic based language, English.

Then all I can say is that Orthodoxy is slightly pottier than I had previously given it credit for.

The orthooxy I had been attacking (as a "strawman") was that English is an evolved form of Anglo-Saxon. Since, as you say, "languages naturally change slowly over time" and getting from Anglo-Saxon to English in the time available is nigh on impossible, I am not surprised to hear that cutting edge research is now postulating the insertion of a pidgin because, as you say, pidgins by definition change quite rapidly.

I apologise for attacking the previous i.e. strawman orthodoxy. I was relying on the standard text books taught at the present time to all relevant undergraduates (for instance, English Literature students). This is very remiss of me and I will be circulating your strictures to the many thousands of academic institutions still teaching these now-exploded notions.

However, I feel duty bound--since it is new to me--to explore the way this pidgin (or lingua franca as you somewhat confusingly call it, the two things being rather different). Never mind, let's see how it arose. I think it is the orthodox view that everyone south of the Danelaw spoke Anglo-Saxon. You say that these people felt a need to develop a lingua franca with the Danes then foming a ruling caste in the Danelaw.

Why would this be...to pay the Danegeld...to book tickets on the Stavanger ferry...er...perhaps you'd better tell us, you being an expert in this particular area. No better still, you'd better tell all the people writing in Anglo-Saxon right up till long after the end of the Danelaw. "Hey chaps, why are you still writing in Anglo-Saxon? We're all talking West Saxon-Danish pidgin out here."

It's a shame the scribes didn't listen because by another of those amazing flukes of unwritten history, this pidgin didn't get written down. Nor, and this is even more unlucky, did anyone feel like mentioning this language. Imagine that, everybody's speaking a brand new lingua franca and nobody noticed! [Anglo-Saxon Chronicle Year 995 AD. New pidgin has reached Isle of Ely; memo to self: erase this entry next year.]

Mick

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
AOM: Inertia 101 AOM-Presenter 25-Apr-03 13:28
Re: AOM: Inertia 83 Doug 25-Apr-03 16:56
Ignorance is Bliss 48 AOM-Presenter 25-Apr-03 17:54
Re: Ignorance is Bliss 49 Doug 25-Apr-03 19:52
Re: Ignorance is Bliss 86 hera 25-Apr-03 20:10
Off-hand Comment 84 AOM-Presenter 29-Apr-03 16:44
Re: Off-hand Comment 82 hera 29-Apr-03 17:35
Apologies 87 AOM-Presenter 29-Apr-03 19:26
Re: AOM: Inertia 56 M J Harper 25-Apr-03 18:38
Re: AOM: Inertia 100 nonconformist 26-Apr-03 20:05
Re: AOM: Inertia 47 M J Harper 29-Apr-03 17:42
Re: AOM: Inertia 56 DPCrisp 29-Apr-03 18:14
Re: AOM: Inertia 83 Dr. Sunil 29-Apr-03 18:29
Re: AOM: Inertia 74 jameske 29-Apr-03 18:51
Indus Valley Seals Deciphered 467 Astikapati 29-Apr-03 21:44
Re: Indus Valley Seals Deciphered 130 Dr. Sunil 30-Apr-03 13:52
Re: AOM: Inertia 62 nonconformist 30-Apr-03 04:09
Re: AOM: Inertia 79 BrianAmbrose 30-Apr-03 10:46
Re: AOM: Inertia 67 Doug 30-Apr-03 13:15
Re: AOM: Inertia 92 M J Harper 30-Apr-03 15:40
Re: AOM: Inertia 50 Doug 30-Apr-03 17:22
Re: Stupidity vs Ignorance 67 Doug 25-Apr-03 21:20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.