Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi all,

I watch the Channel4 program "Secret lives of Egypt" (or what ever it was called) last night after videoing it on Monday. I was very disapointed and a little angry at the whole program. I really do wish that the egypologists would say "This pyramid is believed to have been built..." instead of "This pyramid WAS built...".

Although it was an enjoyable program (any excuse to see this beautiful land), I found that they did not back up some really important statements. The whole show was about the discovery of the 'pyramid builders' tombs. The remains of these workers can be carbon dated to 2,500bc. Proof that these people built the pyramid? I think not.

I'm not saying that these people didn't build the pyramids, I'm just saying what makes you think they did. I watched the program with interest and anticipation as I waited for the 'newly discovered evidence' that would show beyond question that these people built the pyramids. It simply never came. The closest we came was a short statement about the glyphs found inside the workers tombs. All that was said was that these glyphs refer to the type of work and job title of the buried occupant. The program didn't say if the glyphs mentioned the fact that these people were actually BUILDING the pyramids, mearly that they were working in the Giza area.

Again we come back to the simple fact that what was supposed to be a massive, labour intensive, 20 year project has no written testimony to back up the orthadox theory. You would think that SOMEONE would have written "finished work on the pyramid today. Looks okay but I still think they should have painted it blue" or something. It is known that many of the Pharoes carried out restoration work on ancient sites, including Khufu. Indeed is it not true that the few ancient texts that report Khufu as the 'builder' of the GP can also be interperated as 'restorer'.

The program also showed the 'tools' that these people used. Copper chisles, flint axes. Give me a break. They wouldn't have made a dent on the granite, let alone cut it to the accuracy that it is. 20,000 people to build the Great Pyramid and only a few hand tools to show for it! where are all the associated artifacts that back up this 20,000 figure. Come on, without evidence of primative hand tools in the quantities required, you may as well say that the blocks have been cut by an ancient laser. You've got just as much proof for that.

I don't believe that the pyramids were built around 2,500bc because there is not enought proof to back it up, and what proof there is can be argued. But I also don't believe that they were built in 10,500bc for the same reason. Although I find the idea of a truely ancient civilisation appealing, I'm not going to believe it just because the 2,500bc date remains shakey.

Did anyone else see it? Any comments?

Best wishes
Pete Knight

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the GP!!! 391 Pete Knight 21-Nov-00 14:43
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 156 William John Meegan 21-Nov-00 15:41
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 141 vince 21-Nov-00 18:46
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 184 Graham Hancock 21-Nov-00 16:16
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 204 Pete Knight 21-Nov-00 17:04
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 156 Christophe Leijnen 21-Nov-00 19:35
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 153 Pete Knight 22-Nov-00 09:19
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 167 vince 21-Nov-00 18:50
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 126 Pete Knight 22-Nov-00 09:40
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 133 vince 21-Nov-00 18:52
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 152 vince 21-Nov-00 18:54
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 149 Bull 23-Nov-00 09:24
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 222 Pete Knight 23-Nov-00 10:04

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.