Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi All,

I've asked this question so many times to so many people (including Graham - answered kindly but not helpfully by Sharif Sakr) that I gave up for quite a while. Well, I've started thinking about this subject again, so here goes.

First, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I looked but saw nothing.

Okay the problem is this:
I'm fascinated by your 'Position Statement' on the dating of the Great Pyramid. You say that in earlier books you gave some weight to the claims made by Zecharia Sitchin but your position on this has gradually swung in line with the more orthodox view, dating the construction to 2,500BC (even if it's planning was much earlier). It is the reason for your swing that intrigues me.

Just to quote the part of your statement concerned:-
"Cracks in some of the joints reveal hieroglyphs set far back into the masonry. No 'forger' could possibly have reached in there after the blocks had been set in place - blocks, I should add, that weigh tens of tons each and that are immovably interlinked with one another. The only reasonable conclusion is the one which orthodox Egyptologists have already long held - namely that the hieroglyphs are genuine Old Kingdom graffiti and that they were daubed on the blocks before construction began."

Taking this into account, could you fill me in on a few details:
1) When were these 'further back' hieroglyphs first discovered?
2) What do they say or speak of (how do they back up the Vyse cartouch)?
3) If it is possible to read the hieroglyphs in these cracks, why is it not possible to forge them? If it can be seen, it can be reached and it can be forged.

I have no strongly held beliefs about the true construction date of the Great Pyramid, and hold that until it's age can be proven without doubt or question (maybe from wood in the North Queens Chamber Shaft?), we should admit we are unsure. I, like you, am more interested in the 'why' rather than the 'when'.

Best wishes
Peter Knight
Birmingham
UK

P.S. There are stories of an 'eyewitness' to the alleged Vyse Forgery. What do you make of these?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the GP!!! 391 Pete Knight 21-Nov-00 14:43
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 156 William John Meegan 21-Nov-00 15:41
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 141 vince 21-Nov-00 18:46
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 184 Graham Hancock 21-Nov-00 16:16
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 204 Pete Knight 21-Nov-00 17:04
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 156 Christophe Leijnen 21-Nov-00 19:35
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 153 Pete Knight 22-Nov-00 09:19
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 167 vince 21-Nov-00 18:50
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 126 Pete Knight 22-Nov-00 09:40
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 133 vince 21-Nov-00 18:52
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 152 vince 21-Nov-00 18:54
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 149 Bull 23-Nov-00 09:24
RE: Graham, anybody, PLEASE, quarry marks in the G 223 Pete Knight 23-Nov-00 10:04

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.