1. The basalt pavers were originally correctly shaped ie oblong.
2. The original bedrock was as level as it could possibly be.
3. Recyclers removed the pavers from the bedrock and in the process some were damaged to the extent that the broken ones were left on site.
4. The bedrock was degraded by scavengers who cut into it and removed numerous sections as blocks.
5. The Eastern side of the pyramid eventually became covered with desert sand.
6. Reisner excavated the boat pits and, in doing so, revealed the broken pavers and the uneven bedrock.
7. The Egyptian authorities, in their wisdom and goal of attracting tourists to the pyramid decided to restore the paving.
8. The workers who had no chance of ever replicating the original paving cobbled together the current "Temple Floor" thus bastardizing yet another ancient Egyptian site..