Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
molder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> For some reason I thought you had read this.
>

Hi Jim

I hadn’t seen the paper, thanks for the link.

One point I make in my book is that the Bronze Age units of measure appear not to have been passed down into the Iron Age. I suggest that maybe we’re looking in the wrong place - the Iron Age units are present in the Bronze Age but they’re on the circumference.

It may be noted that the Nebra Disk, with a diameter of 32cm, has a circumference of three Northern Feet, potentially with a megalithic yard of 336mm. It so happens that such a diametric and corresponding perimetric unit fit the stone circle site at Boitin, Mecklenburg. Here, the distances between the circles are in the diametric unit (a whole number of megalithic yards), and the gaps between the stones are in the perimetric unit (half a Northern Foot).

The same phenomenon can be seen at Balnuaran of Clava, where the megalithic yard would be 84cm (33 inches) and the perimetric unit would thus be 165mm (6.5 inches).

The circles are 37.5 megalithic yards in diameter and the distance between the NE and SW circles is 150 megalithic yards (four times the diameters). The gaps between the stones on the originating circles are all multiples of 6.5 inches, that is, the corresponding perimetric unit (33 inches / 16 x pi). Note: I didn’t survey all the stones defining the inner kerbs.

The numbers in the gaps are their size in perimetric units and total 600 reflecting a division of the megalithic yard into 16 equal parts. Note that we would express the gaps as: 20 units = 12 degrees, 30 units = 18 degrees, 45 units = 27 degrees, 50 units = 30 degrees and 60 units = 36 degrees. The gaps at most stone circles divide similarly as rational fractions of a revolution, frequently in multiples of 6 and 7.5 degrees..

Both here and at Boitin the predominant angle is 36 degrees - one tenth of a revolution. The bearing of the passages is taken to be 216 degrees. I postulate that the axes of all stone circles are a rational fraction of a revolution from one of the four cardinal points of the compass. As such, the axis always complements the gaps (here, all are multiples of three degrees, which is to say multiples of five perimetric units).

Sadly, nobody is prepared to consider that the megalith builders could have been this savvy!

Geoff

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 1636 gjb 29-Aug-19 18:17
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 118 molder 05-Sep-19 05:18
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 96 gjb 05-Sep-19 16:11
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 108 molder 06-Sep-19 04:47
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 93 gjb 06-Sep-19 18:42
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 85 molder 06-Sep-19 21:09
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 345 gjb 07-Sep-19 00:26
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 77 molder 10-Sep-19 03:44
Re: Megaliths: A Circumferential Unit and the Division of the Megalithic Yard 356 gjb 10-Sep-19 11:47

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.