Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Some religions in the modern world are already more than 4000 years old -- so this says to me that religious ideas are capable of surviving for a very long time in human culture. Why not for 8000 years?

Religious ideas often express themselves through architecture and these projects are often very long-lived with older buildings being added to and restored all the time.

I'm only suggesting that the same sort of thing could have been happening at Giza -- that a very ancient religious idea, which expressed itself through architecture, was in play there from more than 12,000 years ago down to the end of Pharaonic civilisation. Indeed I would contend that that ancient idea is still alive today in many respects -- for it is obvious that the Egyptian religion had a great impact on many later religions.

So essentially the hypothesis is that something of the order of a cult or a monastery established itself at Giza 12,500 years ago, leaving a negligable footprint in the archaeological record. The ideas of this cult were preserved within an initiatory 'brotherhood' (or 'sisterhood' if you like -- but you know what I mean)that recruited new generations of members entirely amongst the local population of Egypt and preserved the essential religious, spiritual and architectural ideas of the cult for thousands of years...

Please note, this is pure speculation, NOT facts! What I see are certain anomalies -- astro-architectural references to two widely-separated epochs in the same architectural complex. There is also certain geological evidence (Schoch and West on the Sphinx)which suggests an earlier phase of construction at Giza long before the third millennium BC. The brief hypothesis given above is, for me, is one way to explain these anomalies. But it may not be correct. And other better hypotheses might be suggested.

I hope this helps. I do not have time to correspond with you fully on these matters because I am presently deeply immersed in writing a big book and also making a TV series on the book's theme.

I hope, in about a year, to have more time to devote to this Message Board and to interesting individual queries such as yours.

Best wishes, Graham

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Question for Graham Hancock. 360 Christophe Leijnen 20-Nov-00 17:46
RE: Question for Graham Hancock. 152 Graham Hancock 20-Nov-00 19:14
The Esoteric Science & the Brotherhood 144 William John Meegan 20-Nov-00 20:54
RE: Question for Graham Hancock. 237 Christophe Leijnen 21-Nov-00 12:05
Shafts point towards Taurus constellation Orion 136 William John Meegan 20-Nov-00 20:24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.