Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Thanos wrote:

> Debunkers are inherently dishonest as they operate
> from the conviction the negative is true
> ergo any positive must be false regardless of the
> actual facts and/or (more often) the accounting by
> witnesses of an event.

It's not just dishonest, it's intellectual laziness and closed mindedness coupled with a lack awareness that there are some things science simply isn't equipped to deal with. Now, as you say, debunking does have a place in subjects that no one with two brain cells would take seriously (like flat earth). But by and large, debunkers engage in anything but logic. In their haste to be "scientific", they just make themselves look foolish.

As I said, they don't debunk evidence. They debunk phenomenological reports and attack the witnesses.


The most common example is
> that UFO's are not "real" therefore what witnesses
> saw must be something-anything-else.

It can't be a UFO, therefore it isn't. Textbook wishful thinking. It doesn't matter to them that their "explanation" is equally devoid of evidence or consistency and in many cases it's downright absurd. Their proposed explanations, like Merrell's sundogs, usually are inconsistent with the facts on the ground. Anything will do, no matter how ridiculous. The astounding thing to me is that people gobble up the debunking without thought just as much as those who gobble up crazy stuff like flat earth.

So many fallacies, so little time.

> They then go looking for any explanation that
> might somehow apply irregardless of the facts or
> what witnesses actually reported more often than
> not by way of omitting key details that are not
> consistent with the explanation they are trying to
> offer. All debunkers want is an "explanation"
> regardless if it is true or not. This does not
> mean all debunkery is "wrong" or that it is not
> useful in its own way, the problem is the premise
> it operates under in that the outcome of an
> investigation is already decided.

Yes. They're not big on facts and evidence if it conflicts with their cozy world view.

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like earth. ~ Margaret Atwood

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 1360 GramPong 15-Jul-19 21:31
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 265 Merrell 16-Jul-19 07:15
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 210 GramPong 16-Jul-19 11:02
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 191 Merrell 16-Jul-19 14:10
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 165 GramPong 16-Jul-19 15:25
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 172 Martin Stower 16-Jul-19 21:08
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 158 GramPong 16-Jul-19 22:44
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 165 PB Bytes 16-Jul-19 23:24
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 151 GramPong 16-Jul-19 23:43
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 140 Thanos5150 17-Jul-19 15:46
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 160 GramPong 17-Jul-19 15:56
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 151 Corpuscles 17-Jul-19 23:32
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 138 GramPong 18-Jul-19 00:49
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 156 Corpuscles 18-Jul-19 02:54
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 146 GramPong 18-Jul-19 12:55
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 131 Corpuscles 18-Jul-19 16:47
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 160 GramPong 18-Jul-19 17:39
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 129 Susan Doris 19-Jul-19 05:06
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 157 Thanos5150 18-Jul-19 03:36
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 126 GramPong 18-Jul-19 13:15
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 158 PB Bytes 17-Jul-19 17:40
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 128 Thanos5150 18-Jul-19 03:14
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 148 PB Bytes 18-Jul-19 15:11
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 145 Thanos5150 19-Jul-19 15:36
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 124 PB Bytes 19-Jul-19 15:54
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 152 Thanos5150 20-Jul-19 01:23
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 132 PB Bytes 21-Jul-19 04:04
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 161 Martin Stower 17-Jul-19 07:48
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 130 GramPong 17-Jul-19 08:44
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 225 Martin Stower 16-Jul-19 08:51
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 164 GramPong 16-Jul-19 10:53
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 126 Barbelo 16-Jul-19 21:09
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 160 Martin Stower 16-Jul-19 21:30
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 134 GramPong 16-Jul-19 22:23
Immortality & Resurrection 163 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 00:17
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 136 GramPong 17-Jul-19 00:28
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 156 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 01:37
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 122 GramPong 17-Jul-19 02:13
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 132 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 03:37
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 153 GramPong 17-Jul-19 03:58
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 155 Martin Stower 17-Jul-19 07:44
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 129 GramPong 17-Jul-19 09:10
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 134 Merrell 17-Jul-19 07:52
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 147 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 11:33
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 139 Corpuscles 17-Jul-19 03:03
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 123 GramPong 17-Jul-19 03:21
Barnhardt Klaatu Exchange 138 Dr. Troglodyte 17-Jul-19 13:00
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 163 Merrell 17-Jul-19 07:56
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 155 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 11:35
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 194 Merrell 17-Jul-19 13:54
Stargate 149 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 22:23
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 165 Barbelo 18-Jul-19 02:34
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 156 GramPong 18-Jul-19 13:18
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 172 Barbelo 18-Jul-19 22:02
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 121 GramPong 18-Jul-19 22:15
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 168 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 00:45
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 184 Martin Stower 19-Jul-19 20:48
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 135 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 21:38
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 143 Martin Stower 20-Jul-19 22:35
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 139 Barbelo 21-Jul-19 00:49
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 159 Martin Stower 22-Jul-19 15:30
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 117 Barbelo 22-Jul-19 21:03
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 153 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 04:49
Re: Stargate 170 Merrell 18-Jul-19 08:05
Re: Stargate 141 Barbelo 18-Jul-19 22:10
Re: Stargate 174 Merrell 19-Jul-19 11:25
Re: Stargate 157 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 21:28
Re: Stargate 139 Merrell 19-Jul-19 21:52
Re: Stargate 177 Thanos5150 20-Jul-19 15:32
Re: Stargate 142 Merrell 20-Jul-19 15:45
Re: Stargate 127 Thanos5150 23-Jul-19 21:30
Re: Stargate 123 Aine 23-Jul-19 23:03
Re: Stargate 144 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 00:05
Re: Stargate 133 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 00:43
Re: Stargate 108 Aine 24-Jul-19 01:09
Re: Stargate 127 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 01:33
Re: Stargate 130 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 01:56
Re: Stargate 138 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 03:47
Re: Stargate 121 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 15:05
Re: Stargate 116 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 23:08
Re: Stargate 124 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 01:46
Mod Note > Duplicate Postings 108 Dr. Troglodyte 25-Jul-19 17:13
Re: Stargate 144 Merrell 21-Jul-19 12:34
Re: Stargate 138 Martin Stower 22-Jul-19 15:40
Re: Stargate 121 Thanos5150 23-Jul-19 21:56
Re: Stargate 155 jazzmumbles 22-Jul-19 01:04
Re: Stargate 138 Merrell 22-Jul-19 06:49
Re: Stargate 124 drrayeye 22-Jul-19 17:18
The EcuadorianToilet Float of the Gods 122 Merrell 22-Jul-19 19:47
debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 142 drrayeye 22-Jul-19 22:25
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 136 Merrell 24-Jul-19 12:43
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 129 Martin Stower 24-Jul-19 13:36
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 123 drrayeye 24-Jul-19 14:31
And..... 122 Barbelo 24-Jul-19 22:19
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 110 drrayeye 24-Jul-19 14:29
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 118 Merrell 25-Jul-19 06:43
Debunkatron 116 drrayeye 25-Jul-19 06:50
Re: Debunkatron 121 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 08:24
Re: Debunkatron 131 drrayeye 25-Jul-19 13:16
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 128 Aine 26-Jul-19 16:04
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 159 Aine 24-Jul-19 17:06
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 138 Merrell 25-Jul-19 06:41
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 131 Aine 25-Jul-19 10:41
Agreed 121 drrayeye 25-Jul-19 13:24
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 126 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 15:32
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 117 GramPong 25-Jul-19 16:30
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 108 Aine 26-Jul-19 16:02
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 118 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 07:28
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 128 Aine 25-Jul-19 10:39
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 148 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 11:27
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 99 Aine 25-Jul-19 13:21
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 134 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 15:13
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 125 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 16:28
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 151 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 18:49
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 130 Thanos5150 26-Jul-19 15:15
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 131 Martin Stower 26-Jul-19 19:16
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 123 Aine 26-Jul-19 16:18
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 131 Aine 26-Jul-19 15:50
Re: Stargate 128 Aine 23-Jul-19 22:25
Re: Stargate 125 Thanos5150 23-Jul-19 23:39
Re: Stargate 136 Aine 24-Jul-19 00:59
Re: Stargate 109 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 03:43
Re: Stargate 179 Aine 24-Jul-19 11:16
Re: Stargate 124 PB Bytes 24-Jul-19 23:18
Re: Stargate 128 Corpuscles 25-Jul-19 00:25
Re: Stargate 96 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 03:04
Re: Stargate 111 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 20:48
Re: Stargate 135 Corpuscles 25-Jul-19 22:32
Collateral damage 142 hendrik dirker 26-Jul-19 02:02
Re: Collateral damage 120 Corpuscles 26-Jul-19 03:36
Re: Stargate 164 R Avry Wilson 26-Jul-19 03:25
Re: mirage.. 106 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 04:55
Re: mirage.. 129 R Avry Wilson 26-Jul-19 08:28
Re: Stargate 115 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 05:07
Re: Stargate 127 Corpuscles 26-Jul-19 05:31
Re: Stargate 114 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 14:09
Re: Stargate 117 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 01:59
Re: Stargate 114 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 02:10
Re: Stargate 129 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 02:31
Re: Stargate 108 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 02:54
Re: Stargate 127 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 03:26
Re: Stargate 140 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 03:31
Re: Stargate 127 GramPong 25-Jul-19 11:57
Cloaking ? 100 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 21:35
Re: Stargate 146 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 11:32
Re: Stargate 116 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 04:58
Re: Stargate 136 Martin Stower 24-Jul-19 13:24
Re: Stargate 146 drrayeye 24-Jul-19 15:13
"The Book Of The Damned" - A Debunker's Dream? 120 Barbelo 24-Jul-19 01:48
Re: Stargate 121 GramPong 19-Jul-19 23:33
The Emerald Tablets 140 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 02:19
Re: The Emerald Tablets 141 GramPong 20-Jul-19 02:53
Re: The Emerald Tablets 135 Merrell 20-Jul-19 09:04
Re: The Emerald Tablets 142 GramPong 20-Jul-19 15:03
Re: The Emerald Tablets 117 cladking 20-Jul-19 22:12
Re: The Emerald Tablets 147 Merrell 20-Jul-19 12:39
Re: The Emerald Tablets 140 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 21:28
Re: The Emerald Tablets 171 Merrell 20-Jul-19 22:04
Re: The Emerald Tablets 123 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 22:34
Re: The Emerald Tablets 130 Martin Stower 20-Jul-19 22:41
Re: The Emerald Tablets 144 Barbelo 21-Jul-19 01:01
Re: The Emerald Tablets 127 Martin Stower 22-Jul-19 15:28
Re: The Emerald Tablets 113 Barbelo 22-Jul-19 21:27
Re: Stargate 113 GramPong 19-Jul-19 22:15
Re: Stargate 130 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 23:02
Re: Stargate 128 GramPong 20-Jul-19 02:01
Re: Stargate 131 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 02:21
Re: Stargate 149 Merrell 20-Jul-19 08:45
Re: Stargate 186 Martin Stower 18-Jul-19 22:26
Re: Stargate 159 Merrell 19-Jul-19 11:46
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 206 Martin Stower 17-Jul-19 21:34
Trey Smith 135 GramPong 24-Jul-19 19:56
Re: Trey Smith 142 Lee McGiffen 26-Jul-19 03:09
Re: Trey Smith 143 GramPong 26-Jul-19 10:44
Mod Warning > General > Topic Closed 201 Dr. Troglodyte 26-Jul-19 20:04


Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.