Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Thanos wrote:

> Debunkers are inherently dishonest as they operate
> from the conviction the negative is true
> ergo any positive must be false regardless of the
> actual facts and/or (more often) the accounting by
> witnesses of an event.

It's not just dishonest, it's intellectual laziness and closed mindedness coupled with a lack awareness that there are some things science simply isn't equipped to deal with. Now, as you say, debunking does have a place in subjects that no one with two brain cells would take seriously (like flat earth). But by and large, debunkers engage in anything but logic. In their haste to be "scientific", they just make themselves look foolish.

As I said, they don't debunk evidence. They debunk phenomenological reports and attack the witnesses.


The most common example is
> that UFO's are not "real" therefore what witnesses
> saw must be something-anything-else.

It can't be a UFO, therefore it isn't. Textbook wishful thinking. It doesn't matter to them that their "explanation" is equally devoid of evidence or consistency and in many cases it's downright absurd. Their proposed explanations, like Merrell's sundogs, usually are inconsistent with the facts on the ground. Anything will do, no matter how ridiculous. The astounding thing to me is that people gobble up the debunking without thought just as much as those who gobble up crazy stuff like flat earth.

So many fallacies, so little time.

> They then go looking for any explanation that
> might somehow apply irregardless of the facts or
> what witnesses actually reported more often than
> not by way of omitting key details that are not
> consistent with the explanation they are trying to
> offer. All debunkers want is an "explanation"
> regardless if it is true or not. This does not
> mean all debunkery is "wrong" or that it is not
> useful in its own way, the problem is the premise
> it operates under in that the outcome of an
> investigation is already decided.

Yes. They're not big on facts and evidence if it conflicts with their cozy world view.

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like earth. ~ Margaret Atwood

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 1359 GramPong 15-Jul-19 21:31
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 265 Merrell 16-Jul-19 07:15
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 208 GramPong 16-Jul-19 11:02
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 189 Merrell 16-Jul-19 14:10
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 165 GramPong 16-Jul-19 15:25
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 170 Martin Stower 16-Jul-19 21:08
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 157 GramPong 16-Jul-19 22:44
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 163 PB Bytes 16-Jul-19 23:24
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 151 GramPong 16-Jul-19 23:43
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 139 Thanos5150 17-Jul-19 15:46
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 159 GramPong 17-Jul-19 15:56
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 149 Corpuscles 17-Jul-19 23:32
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 137 GramPong 18-Jul-19 00:49
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 155 Corpuscles 18-Jul-19 02:54
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 145 GramPong 18-Jul-19 12:55
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 130 Corpuscles 18-Jul-19 16:47
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 159 GramPong 18-Jul-19 17:39
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 128 Susan Doris 19-Jul-19 05:06
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 156 Thanos5150 18-Jul-19 03:36
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 125 GramPong 18-Jul-19 13:15
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 157 PB Bytes 17-Jul-19 17:40
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 127 Thanos5150 18-Jul-19 03:14
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 147 PB Bytes 18-Jul-19 15:11
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 144 Thanos5150 19-Jul-19 15:36
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 123 PB Bytes 19-Jul-19 15:54
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 151 Thanos5150 20-Jul-19 01:23
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 130 PB Bytes 21-Jul-19 04:04
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 160 Martin Stower 17-Jul-19 07:48
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Anunnaki 129 GramPong 17-Jul-19 08:44
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 223 Martin Stower 16-Jul-19 08:51
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 163 GramPong 16-Jul-19 10:53
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 125 Barbelo 16-Jul-19 21:09
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 159 Martin Stower 16-Jul-19 21:30
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 133 GramPong 16-Jul-19 22:23
Immortality & Resurrection 160 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 00:17
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 134 GramPong 17-Jul-19 00:28
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 155 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 01:37
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 121 GramPong 17-Jul-19 02:13
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 131 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 03:37
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 152 GramPong 17-Jul-19 03:58
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 154 Martin Stower 17-Jul-19 07:44
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 128 GramPong 17-Jul-19 09:10
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 132 Merrell 17-Jul-19 07:52
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 146 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 11:33
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 138 Corpuscles 17-Jul-19 03:03
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 122 GramPong 17-Jul-19 03:21
Barnhardt Klaatu Exchange 137 Dr. Troglodyte 17-Jul-19 13:00
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 162 Merrell 17-Jul-19 07:56
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 154 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 11:35
Re: Immortality & Resurrection 193 Merrell 17-Jul-19 13:54
Stargate 147 Barbelo 17-Jul-19 22:23
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 163 Barbelo 18-Jul-19 02:34
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 155 GramPong 18-Jul-19 13:18
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 170 Barbelo 18-Jul-19 22:02
Re: Stargate: Forgettable & Regrettable 120 GramPong 18-Jul-19 22:15
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 167 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 00:45
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 183 Martin Stower 19-Jul-19 20:48
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 134 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 21:38
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 142 Martin Stower 20-Jul-19 22:35
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 137 Barbelo 21-Jul-19 00:49
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 158 Martin Stower 22-Jul-19 15:30
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 115 Barbelo 22-Jul-19 21:03
Re: A Stargate: Is It Real? 152 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 04:49
Re: Stargate 169 Merrell 18-Jul-19 08:05
Re: Stargate 140 Barbelo 18-Jul-19 22:10
Re: Stargate 173 Merrell 19-Jul-19 11:25
Re: Stargate 156 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 21:28
Re: Stargate 138 Merrell 19-Jul-19 21:52
Re: Stargate 176 Thanos5150 20-Jul-19 15:32
Re: Stargate 141 Merrell 20-Jul-19 15:45
Re: Stargate 126 Thanos5150 23-Jul-19 21:30
Re: Stargate 122 Aine 23-Jul-19 23:03
Re: Stargate 142 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 00:05
Re: Stargate 132 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 00:43
Re: Stargate 107 Aine 24-Jul-19 01:09
Re: Stargate 124 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 01:33
Re: Stargate 129 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 01:56
Re: Stargate 136 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 03:47
Re: Stargate 119 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 15:05
Re: Stargate 114 Corpuscles 24-Jul-19 23:08
Re: Stargate 123 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 01:46
Mod Note > Duplicate Postings 106 Dr. Troglodyte 25-Jul-19 17:13
Re: Stargate 143 Merrell 21-Jul-19 12:34
Re: Stargate 137 Martin Stower 22-Jul-19 15:40
Re: Stargate 120 Thanos5150 23-Jul-19 21:56
Re: Stargate 153 jazzmumbles 22-Jul-19 01:04
Re: Stargate 137 Merrell 22-Jul-19 06:49
Re: Stargate 123 drrayeye 22-Jul-19 17:18
The EcuadorianToilet Float of the Gods 122 Merrell 22-Jul-19 19:47
debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 141 drrayeye 22-Jul-19 22:25
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 134 Merrell 24-Jul-19 12:43
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 128 Martin Stower 24-Jul-19 13:36
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 122 drrayeye 24-Jul-19 14:31
And..... 119 Barbelo 24-Jul-19 22:19
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 109 drrayeye 24-Jul-19 14:29
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 117 Merrell 25-Jul-19 06:43
Debunkatron 115 drrayeye 25-Jul-19 06:50
Re: Debunkatron 120 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 08:24
Re: Debunkatron 130 drrayeye 25-Jul-19 13:16
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 127 Aine 26-Jul-19 16:04
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 158 Aine 24-Jul-19 17:06
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 136 Merrell 25-Jul-19 06:41
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 130 Aine 25-Jul-19 10:41
Agreed 120 drrayeye 25-Jul-19 13:24
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 125 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 15:32
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 115 GramPong 25-Jul-19 16:30
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 107 Aine 26-Jul-19 16:02
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 117 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 07:28
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 126 Aine 25-Jul-19 10:39
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 147 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 11:27
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 99 Aine 25-Jul-19 13:21
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 133 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 15:13
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 124 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 16:28
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 151 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 18:49
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 129 Thanos5150 26-Jul-19 15:15
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 130 Martin Stower 26-Jul-19 19:16
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 121 Aine 26-Jul-19 16:18
Re: debunking vs. disproving, and . . . 129 Aine 26-Jul-19 15:50
Re: Stargate 127 Aine 23-Jul-19 22:25
Re: Stargate 124 Thanos5150 23-Jul-19 23:39
Re: Stargate 134 Aine 24-Jul-19 00:59
Re: Stargate 109 Thanos5150 24-Jul-19 03:43
Re: Stargate 177 Aine 24-Jul-19 11:16
Re: Stargate 123 PB Bytes 24-Jul-19 23:18
Re: Stargate 127 Corpuscles 25-Jul-19 00:25
Re: Stargate 95 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 03:04
Re: Stargate 110 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 20:48
Re: Stargate 134 Corpuscles 25-Jul-19 22:32
Collateral damage 140 hendrik dirker 26-Jul-19 02:02
Re: Collateral damage 118 Corpuscles 26-Jul-19 03:36
Re: Stargate 161 R Avry Wilson 26-Jul-19 03:25
Re: mirage.. 105 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 04:55
Re: mirage.. 128 R Avry Wilson 26-Jul-19 08:28
Re: Stargate 114 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 05:07
Re: Stargate 126 Corpuscles 26-Jul-19 05:31
Re: Stargate 113 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 14:09
Re: Stargate 116 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 01:59
Re: Stargate 113 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 02:10
Re: Stargate 128 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 02:31
Re: Stargate 107 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 02:54
Re: Stargate 126 Thanos5150 25-Jul-19 03:26
Re: Stargate 139 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 03:31
Re: Stargate 126 GramPong 25-Jul-19 11:57
Cloaking ? 99 PB Bytes 25-Jul-19 21:35
Re: Stargate 145 Martin Stower 25-Jul-19 11:32
Re: Stargate 115 PB Bytes 26-Jul-19 04:58
Re: Stargate 135 Martin Stower 24-Jul-19 13:24
Re: Stargate 144 drrayeye 24-Jul-19 15:13
"The Book Of The Damned" - A Debunker's Dream? 119 Barbelo 24-Jul-19 01:48
Re: Stargate 120 GramPong 19-Jul-19 23:33
The Emerald Tablets 139 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 02:19
Re: The Emerald Tablets 140 GramPong 20-Jul-19 02:53
Re: The Emerald Tablets 134 Merrell 20-Jul-19 09:04
Re: The Emerald Tablets 140 GramPong 20-Jul-19 15:03
Re: The Emerald Tablets 116 cladking 20-Jul-19 22:12
Re: The Emerald Tablets 146 Merrell 20-Jul-19 12:39
Re: The Emerald Tablets 137 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 21:28
Re: The Emerald Tablets 169 Merrell 20-Jul-19 22:04
Re: The Emerald Tablets 122 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 22:34
Re: The Emerald Tablets 129 Martin Stower 20-Jul-19 22:41
Re: The Emerald Tablets 143 Barbelo 21-Jul-19 01:01
Re: The Emerald Tablets 125 Martin Stower 22-Jul-19 15:28
Re: The Emerald Tablets 113 Barbelo 22-Jul-19 21:27
Re: Stargate 112 GramPong 19-Jul-19 22:15
Re: Stargate 129 Barbelo 19-Jul-19 23:02
Re: Stargate 127 GramPong 20-Jul-19 02:01
Re: Stargate 130 Barbelo 20-Jul-19 02:21
Re: Stargate 148 Merrell 20-Jul-19 08:45
Re: Stargate 184 Martin Stower 18-Jul-19 22:26
Re: Stargate 159 Merrell 19-Jul-19 11:46
Re: Ancient History Examination 1: Annunaki 205 Martin Stower 17-Jul-19 21:34
Trey Smith 134 GramPong 24-Jul-19 19:56
Re: Trey Smith 141 Lee McGiffen 26-Jul-19 03:09
Re: Trey Smith 142 GramPong 26-Jul-19 10:44
Mod Warning > General > Topic Closed 200 Dr. Troglodyte 26-Jul-19 20:04


Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.