Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
DavidK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I am not going to explain why because the reasons are obvious to anyone studying ancient metrology, the imperial system is the key.

Dave

This smacks a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes!

Could we possibly step back a bit? I’ve followed many of the numerical arguments presented here by you and others, and I’m intrigued as to why, and where, this all began.

What historical metrological indicators suggested that there might be a link between the metre, the megalithic yard and the G1 cubit and that the Imperial inch is the key that binds them?

Although there is no historical evidence of the megalithic yard, I’m prepared to work on the basis that it might have existed.

I’m concerned, however, that my reading suggests that the Imperial inch, as a distinct unit, dates back to early 14th century AD England. It does have a numerical and historical link to an ancient unit that I term the Teutonic Northern Foot, which seems to be termed here the Saxon Foot. The link was established in medieval England in order not to affect the size of the acre.

This length of some 13.2 inches may well derive from an ancient cubit of twice this length. The ‘foot’ appears on ancient Egyptian measuring rods (12th dynasty) at about the 18th digit (18th dynasty). Furthermore, the use of a unit of this length by the Indus Valley civilisation appears to be demonstrated by archaeological evidence.

So, is not the link to the cubit more likely to be via the ‘Saxon’ foot, and thence only indirectly to the Imperial inch?

I’m also confused as to how the late 18th century AD metre enters the argument. Even conceding that the AEs appreciated that the earth is a sphere, and measured its circumference (as did the Ancient Greeks), why would they necessarily have derived exactly the same length of metre as the French savants?

In the absence of any historical or archaeological evidence, surely, an Egyptian metre might be any length in the region of 40 inches.

Where does all the precision come from, and what might realistically be achieved by pursuing the hypothesis? How might it be tested historically and archaeologically and who is going to do it?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 1370 DavidK 13-Jan-19 09:38
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 227 gjb 13-Jan-19 18:30
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 192 DavidK 13-Jan-19 21:22
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 211 Sirfiroth 14-Jan-19 15:07
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 184 DavidK 15-Jan-19 11:08
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 182 Sirfiroth 15-Jan-19 21:29
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 205 DavidK 16-Jan-19 14:19
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 172 Sirfiroth 16-Jan-19 14:37
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 170 DavidK 16-Jan-19 15:35
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 251 Sirfiroth 16-Jan-19 16:47
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 238 rodz111 28-Jan-19 23:37
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 188 DavidK 29-Jan-19 12:10
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 257 rodz111 20-Jan-19 22:31
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 184 DavidK 21-Jan-19 17:48
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 190 rodz111 24-Jan-19 03:45
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 167 DavidK 24-Jan-19 08:20
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 170 DavidK 25-Jan-19 00:01
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 226 rodz111 26-Jan-19 06:49
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 173 rodz111 26-Feb-19 08:31
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 134 DavidK 26-Feb-19 10:31
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 192 rodz111 02-Mar-19 22:51
Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and 14 Nisan 221 rodz111 03-Mar-19 17:02
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit -Aspects of the Megalithic Era 166 rodz111 16-Mar-19 15:22
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit -Aspects of the Megalithic Era 210 DavidK 18-Mar-19 12:32
Re: Establishing relationships between the cubit, the megalithic yard and the metre at the GP 52 DavidK 15-Jan-20 22:25

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.