Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Scott Creighton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Merrell,
>
> Let me put this to you in a slightly different
> way.
>
> Putting aside the considerable differences that
> exist between your cited examples of the boat pit
> marks and the Goyon marks from those inside the GP
> chambers, . . .

A thoroughly disingenuous opening: twenty-five (25) words on what you are supposedly “putting aside”. Why mention this at all (and then “put it aside”), if not to suggest it to the reader without its being properly discussed and justified?

What “considerable differences”? Have you studied the inscriptions on the covering blocks of the boat pits systematically? Have you looked with particular attention at the examples of the cartouche name “Khufu” from the second pit? There is no sign of it. On the contrary, the attitude you have displayed is that they are unworthy of your attention. Do not be surprised if your pronouncements on the topic are judged accordingly.

Do these “considerable differences” take any of the inscriptions outside the range of variation and family resemblance we find in cursive scripts in general and ancient Egyptian scripts in particular?

Allow me to remind you that you have picked up and repeated entirely uncritically (and even tried to make mileage on the back of) an identification of the script in the pyramid as hieratic. What is the basis of that designation, if not comparison with other inscriptions?

I see more and more a need to distinguish your “secret cache” theory from Alford’s original. Alford at least had a tolerably clear idea of what he was trying to explain and the sense to keep it simple, whereas you make a mess of his comparatively clear-cut proposal by trying to graft onto it some Sitchinesque rubbish about anachronistic characters. Reminder: Alford proposed this in an attempt to explain (away) the undoubtedly authentic characteristics of the inscriptions in the pyramid.

> . . . just because two sources of text are
> “comparable” in certain ways does not and
> should not imply that any of the sources are
> authentic.

A dogmatic assertion for which no argument has been offered and a misrepresentation of the case.

> They might be, they might not be.

Really?

> And assuming your two cited examples of marks
> (boat pits & Goyon) are genuine, how does
> the fact that some of the signs in these genuine
> examples being "comparable with" some of those
> signs in G1 mean that those in G1 must also be
> genuine? How exactly?


This is your argument? That the cited examples “might be” forgeries also?

Please provide something to show that this is a real possibilty. Tell us how you imagine that the inscriptions in the boat pits “might have” been forged, and who you imagine “might have” forged them.

These things were reported by entirely different investigators (Goyon and Grinsell included), many years after Vyse died—or are we now going to hear from you that this was a conspiracy spanning many generations and many nationalities?

And you can stop playing silly games with modality. No one but you has said “must be”.

> If you were offered to choose from two £20 notes
> but told that one of them was fake, wouldn’t you
> want to have some means of determining which was
> which? They are “comparable with” each other
> in many ways (because it’s a well done fake
> note). But just because they are comparable does
> not and should not automatically mean they are
> both genuine. If we were to decide matters on such
> a basis then if you had a genuine £20 note and a
> fake £20 then, by your standards, just because
> the two are "comparable with" each other then they
> must both be genuine. Which is a plainly absurd
> argument.

You’ve never understood that argument by analogy is no argument at all, have you, Creighton? Choose a different analogy and you get a different result. Consider the art world: experts assign paintings to named artists on a basis of their having characteristics in common with other, known works. The present case is closer to that. Resorting to argument by analogy while dismissing comparison of inscriptions as a method is just plain incoherent.

M.

Edited 2019-02-01 to insert a missing indefinite article.

Edited 2019-02-02 to correct one word.

Edited 2019-02-02 to insert another missing indefinite article.

Edited 2019-02-03 to add three words.



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03-Feb-19 23:15 by Martin Stower.

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 2044 kborissov 26-Oct-18 21:36
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 618 Morten 26-Oct-18 21:43
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 540 D-Archer 27-Oct-18 09:07
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 476 kborissov 01-Nov-18 01:18
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 424 D-Archer 05-Nov-18 11:10
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 424 Thunderbird 05-Nov-18 17:03
Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 354 LonelyAngel 25-Jan-19 14:12
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 284 Merrell 25-Jan-19 14:37
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 299 LonelyAngel 26-Jan-19 11:07
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 213 Merrell 26-Jan-19 11:55
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 295 LonelyAngel 26-Jan-19 13:11
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 196 Merrell 26-Jan-19 13:34
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 267 Scott Creighton 26-Jan-19 14:16
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 178 Merrell 26-Jan-19 17:32
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 177 Scott Creighton 26-Jan-19 18:17
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 200 Martin Stower 26-Jan-19 18:50
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 180 Martin Stower 26-Jan-19 19:05
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 184 Martin Stower 26-Jan-19 17:28
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 187 Merrell 26-Jan-19 18:53
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 215 Scott Creighton 26-Jan-19 19:07
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 236 Martin Stower 26-Jan-19 19:18
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 245 LonelyAngel 26-Jan-19 19:43
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 269 Martin Stower 26-Jan-19 20:25
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 212 LonelyAngel 28-Jan-19 14:57
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 266 Martin Stower 28-Jan-19 17:11
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 162 LonelyAngel 29-Jan-19 13:57
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 190 Martin Stower 29-Jan-19 14:37
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 173 Corpuscles 30-Jan-19 21:46
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 208 Martin Stower 30-Jan-19 22:56
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 199 Corpuscles 30-Jan-19 21:22
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 223 Thanos5150 30-Jan-19 23:19
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 241 Scott Creighton 31-Jan-19 13:14
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 218 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 15:55
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 176 cladking 31-Jan-19 16:44
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 184 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 17:41
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 156 cladking 31-Jan-19 18:07
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 189 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 18:39
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 142 cladking 31-Jan-19 19:14
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 195 Merrell 31-Jan-19 16:54
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 235 Scott Creighton 31-Jan-19 16:58
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 189 Merrell 31-Jan-19 17:51
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 206 Scott Creighton 31-Jan-19 17:57
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 185 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 18:29
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 180 Scott Creighton 31-Jan-19 23:07
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 239 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 23:27
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 213 Merrell 01-Feb-19 08:27
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 199 Scott Creighton 01-Feb-19 10:49
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 162 Martin Stower 01-Feb-19 13:05
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 158 Merrell 01-Feb-19 13:38
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 182 Scott Creighton 01-Feb-19 13:51
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 191 Martin Stower 01-Feb-19 14:24
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 179 Merrell 01-Feb-19 15:19
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 268 Scott Creighton 01-Feb-19 15:56
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 199 Martin Stower 01-Feb-19 16:48
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 189 Scott Creighton 01-Feb-19 17:55
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 338 Martin Stower 01-Feb-19 23:56
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 264 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 18:01
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 161 Thanos5150 31-Jan-19 18:18
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 207 Scott Creighton 31-Jan-19 19:13
Ad hominem. 196 Sirfiroth 31-Jan-19 19:33
Re: Ad hominem. 187 Scott Creighton 31-Jan-19 21:51
Re: Ad hominem. 161 Martin Stower 31-Jan-19 22:36
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 208 Thanos5150 31-Jan-19 20:25
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 260 Thanos5150 25-Jan-19 15:47
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 261 LonelyAngel 26-Jan-19 11:14
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 188 Thanos5150 26-Jan-19 16:40
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 220 Martin Stower 25-Jan-19 23:00
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 196 Open mind 26-Jan-19 00:16
Re: Almost as unlikely as the "tomb" theory... 201 gulsbo 26-Jan-19 13:03
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 307 Open mind 23-Jan-19 01:28
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 395 kborissov 05-Nov-18 00:45
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 715 D-Archer 05-Nov-18 10:53
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 362 Petals 09-Nov-18 04:10
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 328 kborissov 20-Jan-19 02:25
Re: Egyptian Pyramids. What was their true function? 292 Open mind 26-Jan-19 00:20
Mod Warning > Ad Hominem Posts – General 214 Dr. Troglodyte 30-Jan-19 00:30
Re: Mod Warning > Ad Hominem Posts – General 186 D-Archer 31-Jan-19 15:39


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.