Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
If you are wanting a link to what I am talking about in the Malta documentary you can read my paper on the so called 2350 BC event here [www.researchgate.net]. While that paper links to the so called 4.2kya event (a 2-3 century climatic anomaly that lasted from around 2200 BC to around 2000-1900 BC), it does discuss the background of the 2350 BC event which was first identified in Irish Tree rings in the 1990s.

The above research does not involve ice cores though, which you will be aware have issues regarding their accuracy. I have a paper in press at the moment though regarding ice core dating, but this only extends the re-dating of the ice core chronologies back to around 2000 BC. Hopefully it will be in print at the end of the year, start of next year, and I will of course post about it once it sees print. Alas since we only go back to around 2000 BC, it does not comment upon the 2350 BC event. I am hoping that once the ice core workers can test our revised chronology and verify whether it is correct or not, then we may be able to create a frame work to correct the ice core dates further back in time.

My research involves interrogating robust proxy records such as tree ring and ice core records to identify extreme and sudden climatic events, but I primarily look at the past 5000 odd years.

At the moment absolutely dated tree ring records do not extend to before the Younger Dryas, and so I have not looked at this period in any great depth. That said, there will obviously be issues with the ice core dates (and hence the absolute date for the beginning of the Younger Dryas event) due to what appears to be a growing error in the ice core dates as one looks deeper within the ice cores. For example, it does appear that by around 8200 years ago, the GICC05 timescale (which is constructed from the DYE3, GRIP and NGRIP cores) is around 70 years too old (growing from around 7 years too old around 2000 years ago). See here Torbenson et al. (2015) here [www.researchgate.net]. The independent GISP2 ice core is probably even worse and may even be a couple of centuries too old by the Younger Dryas. So there are issues with the synchronising of the different chronologies which makes understanding the beginning of the Younger Dryas a difficult affair. I do find the debate as to the cause of the YD event interesting, but I remain skeptical regarding the cosmic impact hypothesis.

Being a mod on the forum does not mean that I agree with Graham's research, or that I must actively discuss his views or any research pertaining to them. I do post and discuss my own research as and when I am able to (i.e. when it is published). I am not employed within academia, but I do work within the academic system, as do my contacts and collaborators, and so discussing research and results that I am party to before they are published, on a forum that is mined by google and other search engines, can be harmful to their careers. Some journals for example refuse to publish data or results that have been previously published publicly elsewhere (including other papers, blogs, froums, social media sites etc.). Another hypothetical situation could entail one research group finding the discussion of another group's (unpublished) ideas or results on a forum and (being perhaps better funded and equipped) be able to replicate the results and publish first. So I will only ever discuss my own (or others) research one it has published.

One final point. I find myself increasingly distracted by the real world, and so I find very little time and energy to contribute to forums and discussions as much as I once did.

Jonny

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 776 JonnyMcA 26-Aug-18 12:34
Re: Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 210 Dr. Troglodyte 04-Sep-18 17:52
Re: Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 221 JonnyMcA 05-Sep-18 09:47
Re: Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 184 Corpuscles 05-Sep-18 10:10
Re: Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 211 JonnyMcA 05-Sep-18 10:55
Re: Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 190 Aine 05-Sep-18 21:34
Re-air Dates/Times – Time Sensitive 139 Dr. Troglodyte 06-Sep-18 14:59
Re: Re-air Dates/Times – Time Sensitive 229 Aine 06-Sep-18 17:38
Re: Did a cosmic impact event cause the abandonment of Malta in the mid 24th Century BC? 199 Thunderbird 04-Sep-18 19:07

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.