Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
“A measure taken that all divides but collectively binds, a troublesome measure will be.”

GAR-TUK AL DI HER-RI GAR-GIG-GA-A-AN

Ref: ETCSL Sumerian proverbs, Coll 1 (c.6.1.01), line c6101.A.1.23.30

GAR-TUK: measure take

AL-DI: all divide (the divine hoe)

HER-RI: bind gather

GAR-GIG-GA: measure troublesome

A-AN: to be (flow from the sky)

As with the majority of the earliest Sumerian texts, composed of riddles and wordplay, this can be understood in more than one way. There is the obvious meaning of the bad rule of law. But, if we consider that this is indeed one of the teachings of Hermes, HER, the Great Binder, then we look a little closer. My feeling is that the underlying reference is to astronomy, to the establishing of time on Earth and the division of the sky.

It’s understood from ancient texts that the people of Harran (northern Mesopotamia and close to Gobekli Tepe) travelled regularly as pilgrims to Egypt to acquire the teachings of Hermes. HER (also pronounced as HIR, KIRID, KIRIS…) is given on ePSD as “to bind” 405 times at the earliest period. Comparatively, that is a lot. I believe this to be the origin of our pronunciation of the name. Hermes on Wiktionary: “possibly of non-Indo-European substrate or from Proto-Indo-European *ser- (“to bind, put together”).”

Regarding my translation of each symbol/word, I would expect AL to be contested; translated directly to “all” and the origin of our word, it’s given as “hoe” on ePSD. The inference is that this is the work of the cosmic hoe, so we don’t necessarily disagree on that. If AL as “all” were the only example of straightforward etymology between Sumerian and our modern languages (with the added advantage of making the translations understandable), I would be far more circumspect about proposing it. A-AN can be found as AM₃ on ePSD. The translator of this line didn’t consider it separately from GAR-GIG-GA because they appear close together (or in the same square) on the clay tablet. That is the major difference between academia and me. I take all the symbols to be monosyllabic and each symbol of equal importance. Where we agree is that the final symbols usually constitute the verb. There is no way of knowing if the verb was somehow conjugated. I use the present and future tenses.

I’m just back from the Basque region of France where I was amused to see in the centres of their pretty villages the Basque word “Herriku” with the meaning “townhall”. Basque has been formally recognized as an isolated language as is the case of Sumerian. I couldn’t resist bringing up the possibility of a link to Sumerian HER-RI to a highly educated local who, as expected, very politely gave me to understand that this was so far-fetched as to be undebatable. The origins of the Basque language have been studied by experts from different perspectives and all have come to the same conclusion. That’s just the way it is. Still, I find it intriguing. Of course, I didn’t add fuel to the fire by mentioning that HER might also be the origin of “here” (here to gather) or French “hier” (yesteryear - once gathered). Why would I put myself in the firing line?

The academic translation of this proverb on ETCSL is “To be wealthy and insist (?) on demanding more is abominable.” where GAR-TUK is translated through “thing-to acquire/acquired” and becomes “wealthy”. The result is lacklustre in my view. Why would they have bothered to write that down through the ages? Like The Instructions of Shuruppak, it seems to reflect the mindset of a translator rather than that of the original author. I have honestly tried to avoid that trap in The Story of Sukurru, and I’m posting this today for those who take a genuine unbiased interest in the subject. Hermes is the teacher. Not me.

Madeleine

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 1519 MDaines 03-Jun-18 11:01
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 213 atul.seth 03-Jun-18 12:26
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 161 MDaines 04-Jun-18 10:31
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 120 atul.seth 05-Jun-18 12:10
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 105 MDaines 06-Jun-18 08:13
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 112 atul.seth 06-Jun-18 10:18
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 112 MDaines 07-Jun-18 08:26
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 85 atul.seth 10-Jun-18 12:44
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 122 MDaines 11-Jun-18 07:50
MAN-TRA the Sanskrit connection 99 MDaines 09-Jun-18 09:21
Re: MAN-TRA the Sanskrit connection 81 atul.seth 10-Jun-18 13:06
Re: MAN-TRA the Sanskrit connection 84 MDaines 11-Jun-18 07:44
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 112 MDaines 05-Jun-18 07:55
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 119 SallyA 07-Jun-18 04:26
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 126 MDaines 08-Jun-18 08:13
The Narmer Palette, an Egypto-Sumerian message 91 MDaines 25-Aug-18 10:12
Re: The Narmer Palette, an Egypto-Sumerian message 69 SallyA 25-Aug-18 23:26
Re: The Narmer Palette, an Egypto-Sumerian message 67 MDaines 31-Aug-18 07:26
Re: Timelines, feats really not impossible, and a new view on mythos? 72 SallyA 31-Aug-18 19:44
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 74 Cyrusapollo 07-Sep-18 04:49
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 65 MDaines 08-Sep-18 07:25
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 51 SallyA 11-Sep-18 20:45
Re: The Wisdom of Hermes on Sumerian Clay Tablets 66 MDaines 12-Sep-18 10:56
The Asclepius 47 MDaines 18-Sep-18 18:25
Re: The Asclepius . . . ;-) 52 SallyA 18-Sep-18 19:05
Hermes and the Ring of Truth 47 MDaines 20-Sep-18 14:29
Re: Hermes and the Ring of Truth 51 Thunderbird 20-Sep-18 20:14
Re: Hermes and the Ring of Truth 47 MDaines 21-Sep-18 07:56
Re: Hermes and the Ring of Truth 40 Thunderbird 27-Sep-18 21:29
Re: Hermes and the Ring of Truth 39 MDaines 28-Sep-18 08:18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.