Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Watching the Robert Schoch Joe Rogan podcast and had a thought about the pilars of Gobekli Tepi.

I Had always wondered about the curious T shape and what it might be for.

My evaluating bias on megalithic work is towards the more functional purpose rather than the symbolic, because I have an enormous respect for how work of that scale of challenge can quickly clarify ones commitment to its completion. In other words, I presume you have to have a very good reason to do it. Anyone can make a grandiose plan to erect massive stone works, but a few weeks of discovery how frail a human is in comparison that that enormous weight and a few slipped discs, and you have to have a great reason to finish it, or you'll quickly become the biggest advocate of not bothering if your initial reason for it doesn't ease your pains.

So with that approach to Gobekli Tepi, I see their arrangement in those circles and initially I presume they might be holding up some roof structure. But listening to Robert Schoch, he points to several examples that show how some of these stones appear to have been reassembled by propping them up in place, using sometimes broken pieces of other pillars under the bases to support them. There are several that appear to be broken in half and are propped up on smaller stones to raise them to the level of the others and have side supports of loose stone walls sandwiching them on either side to support them. To him, it appeared to reassemble some earlier structure that might have crumbled or succumbed to a cataclysm.

I found that curious to think about, because that opened up the idea that their original configuration might possibly be somewhat different. Its still such a big mystery. But by virtue of that simple idea that these pillars may not have been erected in this final configuration opened up my mind to the possibilities of what they were for. And immediately I could discard the roof structure idea for starters.

And then I considered that odd under cut that defines the overhand of the "T". I couldn't think what that might be for in any construction terms that would necessitate the huge challenge of carving that extra weight to make them so top heavy. It goes against any reasoning for a structural purpose to have that feature not repeated on the bottom at least. Very curious.

But then I thought maybe that upper "T" undercut shoulder might possible be to suspend those rocks from those points possibly if in fact the original purpose of those stones was to be suspended from those upper "T" shoulders, for some vibration function.

I thought about that curious ringing stone demonstration that Michael Tellinger has on many of his video's that shows the interesting bell sounds that come from some of those stones he finds in Africa. And I've also read countless post on here and in books about the existence of vibration and sonic tuning of stones for a mysterious purpose that some ancient civilization must have gained some functional value from that effect.

And with those thoughts, the shape of those stones being so top heavy with those wider T top shoulders sticking out just enough to provide suspension support if it were to be hung started to make sense. Also, Robert Schoch also discussed the fact that based on the weight of those stones, they should have been burried at least a third of their length in the ground for them to be for the purpose of standing pillars, and yet most of at least the center pillars seemed to have bases that only had a slight depression on them for the pilar to sit, which offered them zero stability were they to ever have been placed on those bases.

So its a new thought on their possible original configuration and purpose that I wanted to post and hear if anyone had any thoughts on that.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 738 Open mind 01-Jun-18 04:11
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 131 MDaines 01-Jun-18 09:59
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 84 Open mind 01-Jun-18 15:02
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 74 MDaines 01-Jun-18 17:50
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 74 Open mind 01-Jun-18 18:21
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 73 Jon Ellison 02-Jun-18 20:19
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 41 Open mind 03-Jun-18 19:18
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 53 Jon Ellison 03-Jun-18 21:25
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 42 Open mind 03-Jun-18 23:07
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 48 Jon Ellison 03-Jun-18 23:38
Gobekli Tepi Masks 31 MDaines 13-Jun-18 12:28
Re: Gobekli Tepi Masks 21 Open mind 13-Jun-18 16:13
Re: Gobekli Tepi Masks 32 MDaines 13-Jun-18 16:44
Re: Gobekli Tepi Masks 25 Open mind 13-Jun-18 21:03
Re: Gobekli Tepi Masks 58 MDaines 14-Jun-18 07:37
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 71 Open mind 01-Jun-18 14:07
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 62 kborissov 03-Jun-18 13:47
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 60 G3 04-Jun-18 08:03
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 41 Open mind 04-Jun-18 15:34
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 43 Jon Ellison 04-Jun-18 15:56
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 40 Open mind 04-Jun-18 18:28
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 51 Jon Ellison 04-Jun-18 20:08
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 35 Open mind 06-Jun-18 17:06
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 45 Jon Ellison 06-Jun-18 18:35
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 32 Jon Ellison 06-Jun-18 20:48
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 32 Jon Ellison 06-Jun-18 21:30
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 26 SallyA 07-Jun-18 03:12
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 50 Spiros 06-Jun-18 12:55
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 38 drew 07-Jun-18 02:46
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 51 SallyA 07-Jun-18 03:17
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 49 Thunderbird 07-Jun-18 18:22
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 36 drew 08-Jun-18 02:05
OT: -- Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 40 SallyA 08-Jun-18 02:15
Re: OT: -- Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 40 drew 08-Jun-18 07:08
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 34 Thunderbird 08-Jun-18 14:08
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 31 Open mind 08-Jun-18 15:33
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 43 Cyrusapollo 08-Jun-18 16:03
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 46 Jon Ellison 08-Jun-18 20:18
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 47 DUNE 08-Jun-18 20:57
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 42 Open mind 08-Jun-18 23:21
Re: Gobekli Tepi Pilars - thoughts on the purpose behind the shape 50 Jon Ellison 09-Jun-18 07:43

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.