Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Thanos5150 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Origyptian Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > Alright already, some of us completely, neatly,
> > sincerely, and not just merely do believe that the
> > underlying megalithic foundation at the Baalbek
> > sanctuary truly does predate the Roman Empire.
>
> But why do "some of you" think this? What
> evidence can you present to support this claim?
> What-because you think the Romans were not
> capable?

No, where did you get that idea?

From my perspective, the belief that the foundation at Baalbek was created much earlier than the Romans derives from the fact that:

    1. No one has shown the Romans were capable of doing that kind of work, so why attribute it to them in the first place?

    2. No one has identified any historic culture with the capability to do that kind of work.

> This may be good enough on a forum but
> not in the real world.

And what do you think is good enough in the real world, Thanos?

I'll tell you what seems to have been good enough for traditional Egyptologists for the past few centuries: they see some inscriptions, bones, and clothing, and come up with a story that they "think" fits the data (even though they are sorely lacking in the physical sciences), then claim that their thinking "could" be, "must" be, is "likely" or even "probably" correct (without stating whether that "probability" is based on more than a hunch), and then they take the giant leap in logic that just because no one else has suggested anything else to make them believe otherwise, they simply assume what they have proposed must surely be fact so that they can stack other "thinking" on top of that as more "facts". That's certainly not good enough for me.


> I am curious-in your field
> of scientific endeavor is it good enough that you
> just "completely, neatly, sincerely, and not just
> merely do believe" something to be true or do you
> actually have to prove it with actual evidence?

Of course, it must be proven to be true! That's why I don't believe the Romans built the sanctuary - it was never proven that they did! Same reason I don't believe the Gizamids were built in the 3rd millennium BC. What's your question?


> Why do you think history is any different?

Historic reporting has only a loose connection with reality. Is the Bible a "historic" account of real events? If not, why not? It's like claiming the stock market is tightly coupled with the economy - total nonsense. Steve Jobs dies, an oil sheik coughs, North Korea calls Trump "President Poopy Pants" and the stock market tanks. It has nothing to do with the economy. Ever hear of "fake news"? How much fake news do you think mades it into ancient documents? How much more do you suppose we have misinterpreted?

I view ancient historic reports in a similar light. What do the narratives of Herodotus or Pliny the Elder tell you about real historical facts? Do you think they really knew all that stuff to be fact, or might they just be pontificating from word of mouth and a position of elderly authority? What credit are you trying to imbue into historical reports from humans who bleed when they're cut, or humans who will be cut by the authorities unless they report this or that "history" according to the king's decree? Do you not believe that "history" is often simply the narrative of power and is often intended to be manipulative?


> > What's the point?
>
> Is not the point stated in the title of the thread?

Yes. And the title of the thread does not say "Attack anyone who disagree with Thanos".


> > Is it to try to convince people to believe it.
>
> Believe what-that the archeology says there is an
> older megalithic component to Baalbek that
> predates the Romans? And that textual references
> seem to support this conclusion?

Is it important to you that people believe that?
And is it important to you to be able to convince people to believe that?


> > Is it to ask for more evidence to support it.
>
> God forbid.
>
> > Or is it to criticize those who choose
> > to add sidebar threads that are cognate to the
> > discussion?
>
> How are the dimensions of the cedar forest or
> veracity of the tale germaine to the fact the
> ancient Babylonians believed the cedar forest of
> Lebanon to be the home of the gods containing the
> dwellings of the Annunaki at least by 1800BC?

Irrelevant deflection from my question.


> What does the legitimacy of Solomon have to do with the
> fact megalithic structures are reported presumably
> at Baalbek C. 500BC?

More deflection from my question.


> What does any of this have to
> do with the archeology that shows there to be an
> older megalithic component that predates the
> Romans?

What does any of that have to do with you going medieval on those who post that?


> This thread is nothing but a "sidebar",
> through no fault of my own,

I disagree. You simply asked a question that no one cared to answer. T'bird called you a yes-man (sycophant) and you went ballistic instead of just ignoring him, called him a dead idiot, etc. What?

Meanwhile, if no one has anything to offer that directly addresses the OP, are they not free to post any other point that's inspired by the ongoing discussion? What's the big deal?


> ..which most remain
> oblivious to what was actually said or the point
> of the OP.

How do you know they're oblivious? Are you inside their minds and know everything they're aware of. I totally understood your OP, I agreed with it the notion that the Romans didn't do that work, I know of no additional evidence. At this point I have sufficient evidence to believe the sanctuary is far far far older than the Roman Empire. I'm far more interested in what's under the surface of that amazing structure.


> And as far as who is "criticizing" who,
> from the get go there has been nothing but
> unwarranted negativity towards me just for even
> mentioning these things for reasons completely
> unrelated to the point of mentioning them in the
> first place. Yeesh.

And yet you can't just leave it alone. You seem to not be able to accept that sometimes people don't understand your posts or just don't have anything to say that directly addresses your post. Instead, you can't resist the urge to repeatedly escalate into name calling, yell at people because they don't bow down to give you the attention you want after you start a discussion, and so you summarily trash your own topic by attacking the posters. Well done.

You might try a little introspection about why you get such negativity instead of jumping to the assumption that people are simply dead, idiots, oblivious, negative...

______________________________________________________________
How can any of us ever know, when all we can do is think?



Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12-Apr-18 22:52 by Origyptian.

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Case for an Older Baalbek 3675 Thanos5150 11-Apr-18 06:04
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 570 MDaines 11-Apr-18 08:28
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 500 Origyptian 11-Apr-18 11:15
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 473 Thanos5150 11-Apr-18 22:34
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 452 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 13:25
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 434 MDaines 12-Apr-18 13:39
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 411 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 22:47
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 431 Thanos5150 11-Apr-18 22:31
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 417 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 13:01
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 436 MDaines 12-Apr-18 13:25
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 439 Audrey 12-Apr-18 17:49
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 415 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 22:36
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 400 Audrey 12-Apr-18 23:08
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 408 Origyptian 13-Apr-18 01:44
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 421 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 03:07
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 412 Eddie Larry 13-Apr-18 03:26
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 407 Origyptian 13-Apr-18 04:00
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 422 Audrey 13-Apr-18 03:16
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 405 Origyptian 13-Apr-18 04:18
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 503 Barbelo 11-Apr-18 11:41
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 424 Thunderbird 11-Apr-18 15:02
Re: Case for no King Solomon 464 Thunderbird 11-Apr-18 15:19
Re: Case for no King Solomon 446 Thanos5150 11-Apr-18 22:51
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 479 Audrey 11-Apr-18 16:42
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 420 Thanos5150 11-Apr-18 23:11
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 469 Eddie Larry 11-Apr-18 20:40
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 440 Thanos5150 11-Apr-18 22:18
How Big Was The Forest? 427 Barbelo 11-Apr-18 23:25
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 549 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 13:58
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 459 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 16:18
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 422 MDaines 12-Apr-18 16:54
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 399 Audrey 13-Apr-18 03:29
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 431 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 15:20
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 430 Audrey 14-Apr-18 01:57
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 474 Eddie Larry 14-Apr-18 04:12
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 430 Barbelo 14-Apr-18 10:25
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 413 Eddie Larry 14-Apr-18 15:54
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 349 Barbelo 14-Apr-18 22:13
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 380 Eddie Larry 14-Apr-18 22:45
Re: Beer bottles Fly......Duck! 413 Thunderbird 14-Apr-18 22:26
Re: Beer bottles Fly......Duck! 373 Eddie Larry 14-Apr-18 22:37
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 381 Thanos5150 15-Apr-18 02:49
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 381 Eddie Larry 15-Apr-18 02:56
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 415 Thanos5150 15-Apr-18 03:36
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 411 Eddie Larry 15-Apr-18 04:21
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 446 Barbelo 15-Apr-18 05:45
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 391 Eddie Larry 15-Apr-18 14:00
Zagros, Shoulder of the Cosmic Matriarch 433 MDaines 16-Apr-18 07:41
Re: Zagros, Shoulder of the Cosmic Matriarch 404 Thunderbird 16-Apr-18 12:59
Re: Zagros, Shoulder of the Cosmic Matriarch 441 MDaines 16-Apr-18 13:30
Re: Zagros, Shoulder of the Cosmic Matriarch 415 Thanos5150 16-Apr-18 19:39
Re: Zagros, Shoulder of the Cosmic Matriarch 436 MDaines 17-Apr-18 07:40
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 382 Thanos5150 14-Apr-18 14:43
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 452 Mike D 20-Apr-18 13:15
Re: Did the Russians visit Baalbek? 369 Thunderbird 20-Apr-18 13:56
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 438 Thanos5150 20-Apr-18 16:00
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 391 Eddie Larry 20-Apr-18 16:09
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 402 Thanos5150 20-Apr-18 17:00
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 381 Eddie Larry 20-Apr-18 17:11
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 404 Barbelo 20-Apr-18 20:47
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 403 Origyptian 20-Apr-18 21:45
Re: How Big Was The Forest? 513 Barbelo 20-Apr-18 22:57
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 427 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 00:53
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 382 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 03:56
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 406 Corpuscles 12-Apr-18 00:34
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 405 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 01:39
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 435 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 03:52
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 385 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 04:36
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 413 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 14:12
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 414 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 14:44
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 364 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 17:01
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 439 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 00:47
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 334 Eddie Larry 13-Apr-18 03:40
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 452 Audrey 13-Apr-18 05:44
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 404 Thanos5150 14-Apr-18 01:32
Re: Baalbek.....Home of the God's 396 Thunderbird 13-Apr-18 15:14
Re: Baalbek.....Home of the God's 412 Audrey 14-Apr-18 02:30
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 406 Audrey 12-Apr-18 19:42
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 365 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 20:43
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 378 Audrey 12-Apr-18 16:56
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 405 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 17:08
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 390 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 21:42
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 417 Eddie Larry 12-Apr-18 22:41
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 405 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 22:58
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 353 Eddie Larry 13-Apr-18 17:52
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 395 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 19:06
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 404 Origyptian 13-Apr-18 21:08
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 436 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 21:37
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 387 Origyptian 13-Apr-18 22:06
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 387 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 22:41
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 442 Origyptian 14-Apr-18 15:14
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 393 Jon Ellison 14-Apr-18 22:20
Re: For God's sakes Lee!... 395 Thunderbird 16-Apr-18 00:15
Some Give A Shit 443 Barbelo 12-Apr-18 05:11
Re: Some Give A Shit 434 MDaines 12-Apr-18 07:48
Re: Some Give A Shit 395 Audrey 12-Apr-18 20:42
Re: Some Give A Shit 418 Barbelo 12-Apr-18 21:43
Re: Some Give A Shit 396 Audrey 12-Apr-18 23:21
Re: Some Give A Shit 375 Barbelo 13-Apr-18 00:44
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 435 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 15:03
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 400 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 17:11
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 425 MDaines 12-Apr-18 17:55
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 407 Origyptian 12-Apr-18 22:18
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 398 Thunderbird 12-Apr-18 22:53
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 434 Audrey 13-Apr-18 00:28
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 440 Thunderbird 13-Apr-18 03:31
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 400 Thanos5150 12-Apr-18 04:46
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 467 Race Jackson 12-Apr-18 22:54
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 438 MDaines 13-Apr-18 08:20
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 428 Audrey 14-Apr-18 00:40
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 455 MDaines 14-Apr-18 08:04
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 446 Manu 13-Apr-18 18:10
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 419 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 19:28
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 414 Manu 13-Apr-18 19:50
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 411 Thanos5150 13-Apr-18 20:53
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 414 Manu 13-Apr-18 21:31
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 399 Barbelo 13-Apr-18 20:26
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 242 Thanos5150 14-Sep-19 15:17
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 247 Eddie Larry 14-Sep-19 15:50
Re: Case for an Older Baalbek 316 engbren 17-Sep-19 03:13


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.