Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hi all,

Earlier this year I read "The Philiosophers Stone" by Peter Marshall. In it, it made reference to a chamber in the great pyramid containing radioactive sand. I didn't pay it too much attention at the time, but with the focus recently on the function of the copper handles on Gantenbrink's door, I though perhaps a healthy dicussion of this sand could be of some benefit in determining the function of these handles. So I did some digging and found that it is contained in a report called "Studies in Egyptian Culture No. 8", conducted by the Waseda University in the late 1980's. I havn't located a copy of this report (so I can't be 100% sure that it exists) but I have found this extract from page 86, discussing the physical properties of a certain type of sand discovered by a French team in a behind cavity walls in the Great Pyramid:

> "The sand found inside of Great Pyramid by French mission is composed mostly
> with quartz and poorly plagioclase. It composed quartz more than 99% and is
> generally called quartz sand. The size of the grains is large which is from
> 100 to 400 micron."
>
> The Japanese report goes on to show the difference between the sand found
> inside the GP and the surrounding area. "The sand collected from the south of
> Pyramid contains minerals of mostly calcite, quartz and plagioclase. --- the
> size of the sand is mostly small less than from 10 to 100 micron and every
> grain is angular, namely, autochthonous."
>
> What is interesting from an acoustical point of view is that the GP sand is
> known variously as weeping or music sand due to the sound it makes when wind
> blown or walked on. The possible source for this sand for the Ancient
> Egyptians was in the Sinai. "

This extract doesn't explicitly state the the sand was radioactive, so I searched for references to radioactive sand in the GP and found that just about all of them are connected to ex-NASA consultant Richard Hoagland. Does anybody know whether there is any truth to this claim?

What do you think?

What relation (if any) does this have to the copper handles?

Could this sand with its accoustical properties have a function? Could this function be related to the fuction of shafts and Gantenbrinks door? Low frequency sounds travel well through long narrow shafts.

I certainly havn't made my mind up on this - just thought it was interesting.

cheers

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 563 Matt Stokes 27-Sep-02 08:21
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 115 spadesy 27-Sep-02 08:34
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 71 Frank D 27-Sep-02 15:51
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 87 modeldon 27-Sep-02 18:57
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 83 Frank D 27-Sep-02 20:57
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 80 Katherine 27-Sep-02 23:48
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 60 Frank D 28-Sep-02 00:14
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 81 Mia Z 28-Sep-02 04:02
Re: Was there a strange sand found in the GP? Radioactive? 80 spadesy 28-Sep-02 04:16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.