David quote 'Archaeologist Helen Hulholland has written a brilliant paper about it. The Picts laid out the land using right angled triangles and used 5920 feet as a land unit. '
There is so much to think about but am wondering if you are in contact with Helen as I have a suggestion. Don't know how she measured the mile but it seems to me the intended length is 20 feet longer.
5940 imperial feet. And your numbers David fit in nicely especially re the Great Pyramid and that old Egyptian value (or so called) for pi 3.160493827. Ha Egypt in Scotland.
1. Furlong 660 imperial x 8 = 5280 imperial mile
2. Furlong 660 imperial x 9 = 5940 imperial feet looking at the numbers 8 and 9 the old Egyptian value for pi can be found this way ... Diameter of a circle 4 / 9 = 0.44444 x 8 = 3.55555 (this is the side of a square the area of which equals the area of a circle with diameter 4......3.55555 / 9 x 8 = 3.160493827 the old Egyptian value for pi and the side of a square the perimeter of which equals the circumference of the circle with diameter using the Egyptian value for pi.
3. 5940 imperial feet = 5400 Saxon feet (13.2 ins)
4. There are 16 digits 0.825ins in a saxon foot 5400 x 16 = 86,400 digits or seconds in a day of 24 hours.
5. There are 25 digits 0.825ins in a royal cubit (20.625ins) 86,400 / 25 = 3456 royal cubits.
6. The are 24 digits 0.825ins in a standard cubit (19.8ins) 86,400 / 24 = 3600 cubits.
7. The area in acres if the square Scottish miles is sought either in imperial or saxon measure = 810 acres. Using saxon measure and acre is found by dividing the square area by 36000 eg 5400 x 5400 = 29,160,000 square feet / 36000 = 810 acres. imperial 5940 x 5940 / 43560 = 810 acres.
8. If the Scottish mile were the diameter of a circle then the exact area of the circle = 2700 x 2700 = 7,290,000 square saxon feet x pi = 22,902,210.44 square saxon feet / 36000 = 636.1725124 acres.
Note; Look at the number 22,902,210.44 x 3 = 687.0663132 saxon feet the base of the pyramid x 13.2 ins = 9,069.275334 inches and 755.7729445 imperial feet.
9. Look what happens when the old Egyptian value for pi is used; 2700 x 2700 = 7,290,000 x 3.160493827 = 23,040,000 square saxon feet 640 acres. And 23,040,000 is the same number as metres in side of pyramid 230.4 metres.
230.4 x 2 / 3.1418181818 = 146.66666666 height of pyramid.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10-Jan-18 13:39 by molder.