Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
I have always found it interesting that the numbers ten, eleven and twelve do not fit the rest of the numbers. I have also noticed that the number twelve shows up all over the place. A dozen, a gross is a dozen dozen. A super gross is a dozen gross. There are twelve numbers on a clock face. And so on. Well I found the DSA (Dozenal Scociety of America) and saw they are promoting base twelve counting. I started poking around with that idea and found something interesting.

In base 12, a foot would be measured in 10 inches. That is a one in the 12^1 place and a zero in the 12^0 place. What is even more interesting is a mile would be 3080 feet long (as counted in dozenal) that is a 3 in the 12^3 place and an 8 in the 12^1 place.

So if the mile was measured too long (96 feet too long) and was supposed to be 5184 feet. That would mean that the imperial standard measurment would be:

10(doz) inches to a foot
3(doz) feet to a yard
1000(doz) yards to a mile
3000(doz) feet to a mile

Now that looks pretty to me. We have the metric system so we can tack on zeros for increasing by orders of magnitude. If we counted by 12s, the mile is just 1000 (doz) yards. Kind of like the kilometer.

Now as for all the other dozen based numbers, that would make sense as well. A clock is split into 12 hours, or should I say 10(doz) hours. A schilling has a dozen pennies and so on.

Now imagine the story brought back to Greece by Solon, as recounted in Timaus by Plato. The very aged priest tells Solon that there is not an old mind among them. He continues:

There have been, and will be again, many
destructions of mankind arising out of many causes; the greatest have been brought about by the agencies of fire and water, and other lesser ones by innumerable other causes. There is a story, which even you have preserved, that once upon a time Paethon, the son of Helios, having yoked the steeds in his father's chariot, because he was not able to drive them in the path of his father, burnt up all that was upon the earth, and was himself destroyed by a thunderbolt. Now this has the form of a myth, but really signifies a declination of the bodies moving in the heavens around the earth, and a great conflagration of things upon the earth, which recurs after long
intervals

What are the chances that the most recent destruction left mankind "ignorant of letters and numbers" and we had to figure it out for ourselves all over again. Only this time, the farmers that survived kept the clock face, the dozen and gross, the inches in a foot, and they "kinda" knew what a mile was. As they developed counting, they saw ten fingers and went with that. But the dozen maintained through.

Thoughts?

Also...

having yoked the steeds in his father's chariot

Kind of sounds like someone crashed his fathers spaceship... Just sayin'

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
The mile is 96 feet too long??? 653 tpeugh 26-Jul-17 05:04
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 58 tpeugh 02-Aug-17 19:05
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 54 molder 03-Aug-17 04:14
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 63 tpeugh 03-Aug-17 10:47
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 73 Sirfiroth 03-Aug-17 13:07
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 55 tpeugh 03-Aug-17 13:49
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 57 Dr. Troglodyte 03-Aug-17 16:17
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 58 Sirfiroth 03-Aug-17 21:55
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 101 tpeugh 03-Aug-17 22:33
Re: The mile is 96 feet too long??? 153 rodz111 05-Aug-17 14:42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.