Mysteries :  The Official GrahamHancock.com forums
For serious discussion of the controversies, approaches and enigmas surrounding the origins and development of the human species and of human civilization. (NB: for more ‘out there’ posts we point you in the direction of the ‘Paranormal & Supernatural’ Message Board). 
Welcome! Log InRegister
Hello MJT.

M. J. Thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Thanos5150,
>
> You hold that the 3rd Dynasty pyramid complex of
> Saqqara is the earliest known use of the royal
> cubit.

Unless you have evidence that suggests otherwise, this is not what "I" hold, but the field at large. I have yet to see a reason to think otherwise, but it would be quite interesting if there were.

> I assume you are referring to Djoser - dated 2630
> to 2611, according to Lehner (‘The Complete
> Pyramids’ 1997).

Is there an indication a 3rd Dynasty pharaoh other than "Djoser" built the Saqqara pyramid complex?

> The 4th Dynasty Great Pyramid dates to 2551 B. C.
> – again according to Lehner.

I'm not sure why you keep emphasizing the point "according to Lehner". Lehner, if I'm not mistaken, uses Cambridge for his dates which are the most commonly accepted.

> So, it could be argued that the royal cubit was
> invented at the least 79 years (2630 minus 2611)
> before the designing of the Great Pyramid – and,
> if his singularly impressive C.V. is anything to
> go by, Imhotep might well have been the person who
> invented both the royal cubit and the seked.

Accepting conventional dating for the point of discussion, it is not something one could "argue", but is the state of accepted facts as they are known today which should be understood given the uncertainties of the length of reigns, or even which King's list one refers to, could be +/- years either which way. I'm not sure what your point is breaking it down to specific years when all that is required is noting "3rd Dynasty Djoser" vs "4th Dynasty Khufu".

What one would "argue", however, is that it could have happened earlier which I did read a thesis that suggests, based on statistical probability of measured artifacts, the Royal cubit's first use "may" have occurred at the end of the 2nd Dynasty/beginning of the 3rd. Regardless, you can pick whatever source you want for dates, but as is widely accepted the Royal cubit was first used, yes, by Djoser.

> Now, I wrote, ‘ p.s. For what it is worth, I
> think it was, at the earliest, the 3rd Dynasty
> Egyptians.’
>
> You replied, ‘Quite a leap considering the 3rd
> Dynasty pyramid complex of Saqqara is already
> considered the earliest known use of the Royal
> cubit.’
>
> Would you please explain what you mean by ‘Quite
> a leap’ - as it stands it makes no sense to me.

First you said:
"If we knew who invented the seked and the royal cubit, then we would know the earliest the Great Pyramid could have been designed."

Then:
"p.s. For what it is worth, I think it was, at the earliest, the 3rd Dynasty Egyptians.’"

Considering this is the accepted conventional wisdom, why do you think this then MJT?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24-Apr-17 16:02 by Thanos5150.

Options: ReplyQuote


Subject Views Written By Posted
Seked and Royal Cubit origins 1026 M. J. Thomas 21-Apr-17 17:01
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 268 Warwick 21-Apr-17 17:19
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 224 M. J. Thomas 21-Apr-17 20:02
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 192 Warwick 22-Apr-17 16:09
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 230 M. J. Thomas 22-Apr-17 20:33
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 238 Merrell 22-Apr-17 21:24
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 222 Warwick 23-Apr-17 19:03
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 274 M. J. Thomas 23-Apr-17 20:22
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 255 R Avry Wilson 24-Apr-17 05:41
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 225 M. J. Thomas 24-Apr-17 09:53
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 220 Warwick 24-Apr-17 15:36
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 228 R Avry Wilson 25-Apr-17 04:04
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 197 Thanos5150 24-Apr-17 06:28
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 252 M. J. Thomas 24-Apr-17 09:57
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 274 Thanos5150 24-Apr-17 15:57
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 202 Warwick 24-Apr-17 16:47
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 200 M. J. Thomas 24-Apr-17 18:24
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 189 Warwick 24-Apr-17 18:54
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 172 M. J. Thomas 24-Apr-17 22:45
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 162 Warwick 25-Apr-17 01:30
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 175 M. J. Thomas 24-Apr-17 18:17
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 172 Thanos5150 24-Apr-17 18:30
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 212 Sirfiroth 21-Apr-17 22:26
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 251 Warwick 22-Apr-17 16:12
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 274 PhiPIandI 22-Apr-17 01:27
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 197 Reagent 25-Apr-17 03:33
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 168 Dr. Troglodyte 25-Apr-17 14:12
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 212 Dr. Troglodyte 25-Apr-17 14:37
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 259 Reagent 26-Apr-17 09:06
The Origins of standards 193 Warwick 26-Apr-17 16:41
Re: The Origins of standards 140 Reagent 27-Apr-17 02:13
Re: The Origins of standards 306 Warwick 27-Apr-17 17:06
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 202 Reagent 27-Apr-17 06:10
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 196 Dr. Troglodyte 25-Apr-17 15:04
Re: Seked and Royal Cubit origins 327 Reagent 25-Apr-17 21:54


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.